ChatGPT is a program that uses artificial intelligence to have conversations with people. It works by looking at the words that you type and trying to figure out what you might be asking or talking about. Then, it uses what it knows to try to come up with a response that makes sense and continues the conversation. ChatGPT is like a very smart robot that can understand what you're saying and come up with answers on its own. It's not a real person, though, so it doesn't have feelings or thoughts like a human does. It's just a computer program that can mimic human conversation and that is why it is an assistant to teachers. It's crucial for educators to make use of the capabilities of ChatGPT as a new technology to create an inclusive, flexible and personalised learning environment that meet the needs of all students.
There has been discussion about the implications of ChatGPT. But there hasn't been much discussion about how teachers can use ChatGPT for their own work. As a teacher, I have conducted experiments with ChatGPT and have seen positive outcomes. I would like to present a few ideas around how ChatGPT can aid teachers in their daily tasks.
Teachers have already begun utilising ChatGPT for functions such as creating lesson plans, developing rubrics, providing feedback on assignments, responding to parents' emails, writing letters of recommendation or certifications and teaching tools and techniques. While some teachers may have concerns with using artificial intelligence for these tasks, others believe it can save them hours of work, allowing them to spend more time interacting with students or pursuing other interests of teachers or teaching methodology and strategies. However, it's important to remember that technology or AI tools in teaching, such as ChatGPT, should be used to supplement a teacher's expertise rather than a substitute for it. The most successful educators will be able to incorporate AI as a tool while still maintaining their unique perspective. This may be challenging, but it's the ideal approach. AI will not replace education or teachers, but it can potentially improve teaching-learning processes and significantly reduce teacher burnout.
1. Generating lesson plans: ChatGPT can assist teachers in generating lesson plans by providing ideas for activities and resources that align with the learning objectives. Example:
2. Summarising content: ChatGPT can summarise content from different sources, such as text books, articles or web pages, which can be helpful for teachers to quickly get an overview of the information they need to teach. Example:
3. Creating assessments: ChatGPT can assist teachers in creating assessments, such as multiple-choice questions or short answer questions, to measure student learning and progress.
4. Writing feedback: ChatGPT can assist teachers in providing feedback to students by generating personalised comments based on student’s performance. Example:
5. Supporting special needs: ChatGPT can be used to generate materials in different languages, or alternative format, to support students.
1. Generating instructional materials: ChatGPT can generate instructional materials such as worksheets, handouts, and quizzes to support teachers' delivery of the lesson.
2. Supporting interactive activities: ChatGPT can be used to create interactive activities, such as games or simulations, that can be used to engage students and reinforce learning.
3. Enhancing deliverables: ChatGPT can create lesson plans, to support teachers' delivery of the lesson.
4. Creating videos or animations script: ChatGPT can be used to generate scripts for educational videos or animations, which can be used to supplement instruction and make the content more engaging and interactive.
Assessment and Evaluation
1. Generating assessment items: ChatGPT can generate assessment items such as multiple-choice questions, short answer questions, and essay prompts. Example:
2. Creating progress reports: ChatGPT can be used to generate progress reports for students and their families, summarising their performance over a period of time. General to specific or specific to general. Example:
3. Creating diagnostic assessments: ChatGPT can assist teachers in creating diagnostic assessments that can help identify areas where students need additional support. Example:
Your prompt: create a diagnostic report of the child who lacks mathematics.
4. Scoring assessments: ChatGPT can be used to score assessments, such as multiple-choice questions, automatically, which can save teachers time and effort. Example:
Your prompt: Please generate a marking scheme of a question paper for class 8th containing
Short type answer
Extended type answer
1. Answering student questions: ChatGPT can be used to answer student questions in real time, providing quick and accurate responses that can help to keep the class on track. Example:
Student: Can you explain the difference between mitosis and meiosis?
Teacher: (uses ChatGPT)
ChatGPT answer: Sure, I can help with that. In simple terms, mitosis is a type of cell division that results in two identical daughter cells, each with the same number of chromosomes as the parent cell. Meiosis, on the other hand, is a type of cell division that results in four genetically unique daughter cells with half the number of chromosomes as the parent cell. This is important for sexual reproduction, as it allows for genetic diversity in offspring.
2. Providing feedback on written assignments: ChatGPT can provide detailed feedback on student writing, including grammar, structure, and content.
3. Generating quizzes and assessments: ChatGPT can be used to generate quizzes and assessments tailored to a class's specific content and learning objectives. Example:
4. Enhancing student engagement: ChatGPT can be used to create interactive learning activities and games that can engage students and make learning more fun and effective. Example:
5. Automating administrative tasks: ChatGPT can be used to automate various administrative tasks, such as creating notices and emails for various functions happening in school, creating student profiles, attendance percentage calculation and grade reporting, freeing up more time for teachers to focus on instruction and interaction with students. Example:
1. Communication: ChatGPT can be used to generate automated messages that can help teachers communicate with parents and students more efficiently. This could include notifications about upcoming assignments, reminders about class schedules, and updates on student progress. 2Example:
2. Parent-teacher conferences: ChatGPT can be used to generate summaries of student progress and behaviour for parent-teacher conferences, which can help to facilitate more productive and efficient meetings.
3. Feedback: ChatGPT can provide automated feedback to students and parents on student work, which can help improve student engagement and motivation.
4. Tutoring: ChatGPT can be used to create interactive learning activities and games, which can help teachers to receive extra support and guidance when they need it beyond classroom hours or extra classes.
1. Professional learning communities: ChatGPT can facilitate collaboration and sharing of ideas among teachers in professional learning communities. It can generate discussion prompts and summaries of previous conversations, which help ensure that all group members are on the same page.
2. Self-reflection and self-assessment: ChatGPT can support teachers in reflecting on their practice and assessing their effectiveness. It can generate prompts for self-reflection and provide automated feedback based on the teacher's responses.
3. Mentoring and coaching: ChatGPT can provide guidance and support for new teachers, providing resources, answering questions, and providing feedback on their teaching practice.
4. Research and stay up-to-date with new trends: ChatGPT can be used to generate summaries of recent research studies in education, which can help teachers to stay up-to-date with new trends and best practices in the field.
Differentiated instruction is an approach to teaching that addresses the diverse learning needs of students by providing them with different ways to learn, practice, and demonstrate their understanding of the material. ChatGPT can assist teachers in differentiated instruction in several ways:
1. Generating individualised materials: ChatGPT can generate materials, such as worksheets or assessments, tailored to each student's specific learning needs.
2. Creating alternative formats: ChatGPT can generate materials in different languages or alternative formats, such as braille or any other language, to support diverse classrooms and children with special needs (visual impairment). Example:
3. Supporting self-paced learning: ChatGPT can help you to generate a chatbot for answering questions. Example:
4. Offering personalised feedback: ChatGPT can assist teachers in providing personalised feedback to students based on their performance and learning needs.
1. Generating instructional materials: ChatGPT can generate instructional materials such as worksheets, question papers, and quizzes that can be delivered and completed digitally, making the content more accessible and interactive.
2. Supporting interactive activities: ChatGPT can be used to create interactive activities, such as games or simulations, that can be delivered to online classes
3.Enhancing teaching aids: ChatGPT can generate teaching such as flow charts, and that can be integrated into presentations and other digital teaching technology tools to support Instruction. Example:
Specially Abled Students Growing and Glowing With Chatgpt
1. Dyspraxia: ChatGPT can provide more accessible ideas of teaching and teaching tools for students with motor impaired students/dyspraxia students, who may find it challenging to use a mouse and hold pencils and other objects. Example:
2. Low IQ: ChatGPT can create personalised learning materials, exercises and assessments tailored to their abilities and learning styles. It can also generate text in a simplified language to make it more accessible to them. Additionally, ChatGPT can assist teachers in identifying students who may need additional support and providing them with the resources they need to succeed.
3. Dysphasia: ChatGPT can generate individualised lesson plans and practice exercises based on a student's abilities, interests, and learning style. This can help students with dysphasia communicate better, understand, retain the material, and express ideas using small cues and prompts.
4. ADHD: ChatGPT can generate text & interactive simulation ideas and paraphrase the complex ideas into simpler forms, which can help students with ADHD to better understand and retain information by providing different ways to the information and concentration.
5. Dyscalculia: ChatGPT can be used to generate 3D models and ideas of mathematical concepts, which can help students with dyscalculia to understand and retain information. Also, it can be used to provide step-by-step solutions and explanations for maths problems. This can help students understand the reasoning behind the answer and learn how to solve similar problems independently.
ChatGPT has proven to be a valuable assistant to teachers in several ways. From answering students' questions to generating engaging learning materials, ChatGPT has helped enhance the classroom experience for teachers and students. Its ability to provide quick, accurate and personalised responses in real-time has made it a powerful tool in the modern education system and cherry on the cake is that you can take your teaching skills to the next level with Suraasa! Book a mentoring session with your expert mentor today and gain valuable insights and guidance to enhance your teaching abilities. Don't wait; sign up now and talk to our mentors to start your upskilling journey!! As AI for teachers continues to evolve, it will be exciting to see how upskilling with Suraasa can further support and transform the field of education. We are only just scratching the surface of what is possible, and the future of education is looking bright for teachers.
No items found.
Deepali uses writing & teaching to inspire & impact. With creativity & empathy, she aims to engage & enlighten. Look for her next piece & get ready to be inspired.